Overheard before sessions – customers of EPIC Healthcare make up 3-4% of EMC’s storage revenues.
Summary = Pre-built, Pre-tested for Oracle, Single contact for all support, Extreme Performance for OLTP & BI, Best TCO with FAST and multi-tiering strategy, Best data proaction and availability (T10 PI (DIF), D@RE, VMAX local and remote replications), Easy to use/manage/fast to deploy.
Scroll down to see crazy performance test result screenshots – also full Oracle DB recovery in 13 minutes.
More after the jump…
- Starting with an overview of vBlock from an Oracle DBA’s perspective…way too long.
- vBlock cuts it down to 45 days.
- vBlock family of systems – 100, 200, 340 (VNX), 720 (VMAX), Specialized Systems
- Presenter is the guy who designs vBlocks for specific application verticals.
- DB Servers – details in screenshot.
- Went rack mount for XtremSF cards – up to 500k IOPs per server
- Application servers – optional.
- SAN Components – stuck with MDS 9710 to huge throughput – see screenshot.
- Smaller configs did MDS 9148’s as are still line rate.
Now onto the second presenter….
- Started with question of “are there any DBA’s here?” (he’s happy that there are)
- Walking through the software components…
- Lots of VMAX features that benefit Oracle….overview slide….will dig into each of these.
- Dig down – VMAX Data Protection & Optimization – VMAX RAID is 0.75 usable – Oracle ASM is 0.5 or 0.33 usable.
- Showing real world usage of Oracle with FAST VP
- Oracle does well at striping across all LUNs….but hot spots are so much smaller than a LUN
- Backups – offload activity from production instances by leveraging underlying storage.
- Oracle log shipping – it’s good but database by database. SRDF or RecoverPoint can provide consistency across multiple databases in a single overall system.
- XtremCache 2.0 is specifically Oracle aware – does cache coherency across multiple servers.
Now showing lots of real world performance benchmarks – using screenshots for that. But…4 million IOPs!!!