Manuvir Das – Engineering
Vikram Bhambri – Product Management
Summary = EMC is emphasizing that ECS is really just to enable ViPR — not meant for other stuff, not meant to compete with non-storage companies. Lots of ViPR data but did get to some ECS hardware configs at the end (screenshots below).
- Starting by looking at ViPR and how Project Nile (ECS Appliance) is needed underneath ViPR. This session reviews what ViPR provides that can be powered by the ECS appliance.
- What’s in ViPR 1.1? Cloud scale, layovered over existing stuff, really just block and object.
- Lots of ViPR review
More after the jump…
- ViPR 2.0 – feature list review – geo-replicated data protection, active/active read/write support with strong consistency, no single point of failure, performance and efficiency for small and large objects.
- ViPR 2.0 has “limitless scale” – not publishing many maximum numbers as it’s more constrained by the hardware underneath than any software limits.
- “Engineer’s product” – built around the Engine
- Active/Active Read/Write Architecture – single global namespace across data centers, strong consistency across data centers, optimized for minimal WAN round trips by sensing access patterns across data centers.
- ViPR Data Access – lots and lots of protocols (yes, this is a bit tongue in cheek – I’m getting way more ViPR content today than I planned on).
- Compliance for ViPR – archiving and long-term retention. Enabled at object or bucket level. Time-based retention enforcement. Immutability and checksum. Platform lockdown. Privileged delete. SEC 17a-4f & HIPAA
ECS is really just hardware to run ViPR.
- ECS Appliance Configurations
- Hardware Configurations – now going to screenshots.
- ViPR Use Cases
- Multi-site software development
- All in One 3rd Platform Storage
- File side of ViPR – automatically 3.5 ms response.
- Mixed config – block and file side are hard separated because File/Object are from ViPR and Block is via ScaleIO – totally separate underlying sets of disks.
- Uses Arista switches right now – will let customers choose other vendors in the future.