Got here late….tried for VPLEX + ViPR session but arrived 15 minute late and they were done the content already (hour long session but only 15 minutes of content).
This turned out to be mostly a review of ViPR…very little Project Nile.
Came in partway through the ViPR content…
- VPLEX & RP Enhancements
- ViPR Hardening
- IPv6 and Dual Stack Suppot
- Security Hardening Scans
- Compliance Certs – FIPS 140-2, Section 508, Common Criteria
- Geo-distributed datacenters
- SSO across Geo
- Global tenants and projects
- Reporting across ViPR instances
- ViPR available for $0
- ViPR controller has native VASA provider – can provide VASA even if underlying storage doesn’t support VASA.
- ViPR can also integrate with VCOPs & vCAC via adapter.
- OpenStacker Cinder plugin coming in the future – Microsoft as well.
- ViPR SRM – pull together data from underlying storage as well as ViPR for complete view.
- Goal of ViPR continues to be “Data Services on Almost Any Hardware”
- Data Services from ViPR = block, object, HDFS
- Commodity Hardware
- Enterprise Hardware
- Supports common industry API’s – S3, OpenStack, Centera CAS, Atmos
- ViPR Block – enabled by ScaleIO
- Managed by ViPR controller similar to other ViPR data services
- Virtual pools of storage with varying performance characteristics – just like ScaleIO
- Scales to 1000’s of nodes.
Now onto Project Nile – EMC ECS Appliance…very little discussion of this other than a slide or two.