Stella Lowe on stage first – forward looking statements so keep that in mind. Almost no PowerPoint today.
Michael Dell giving a recap from the keynote – believes has incredible end to end capabilities. Very brief intro and now opening up to questions.
Note: I never expect executive Q&A to cover every facet but always find it interesting what comes to mind for them on any given topic.
- Joe Peneteri – editor of channel company – what do you see around CapEx and OpEx swings?
- One of the areas that David highlighted in his keynote – very much focused on new OpEx models. Wide range of IP – EMC team has also embraced Dell Financial Services.
- My question “Andrew Miller here via EMC Elect & social influencer program – come from customer side and channel partner side – existing landscape is huge range of partners with different business models and focuses. As I hear emphasis on end to end solutions encompassing a huge amount of technology, what is your ideal partner of the future and how do you see that affecting existing partners?”
- Looking for partners to grow into adjacencies – if did servers, add storage, etc.
- Don’t think realistic for a DellEMC partner to cover everything and don’t expect that
- Will have a single channel program
- Seeing a lot of excitement in the partner community
- Question – is Modernize, Automate, Transform backwards? Should Transform be first?
- Good question….but needed solid foundation before can transform.
- Question – where see growth coming? What about Chinese competitors?
- No real comment on the Chinese side.
- Growth from tons of areas – converged + HCI is big.
- Dell is #1 in PC revenue but not in units – easy to be #1 in units if want to be.
- What about mobile phones?
- No – very definite and immediate answer (gets audience laughter and applause).
- Doesn’t think the customer needs another smartphone company.
- But…mobile devices are increasingly holding important company data and we can address that via Airwatch.
That’s a wrap.
One thought on “Dell EMC World 2016 – Introduction & Q&A with Michael Dell”
Pingback: Dell EMC World 2016 – Closing Thoughts | Think Meta